I bought a used kayak/canoe - How do I register it?
Take the following to any boat registration agent: or Bill Quickel's - Insurance Plus Agencies Inc. 114 Court Street, Pomeroy, Ohio 45769 (740) 992-6677
- Proof of ownership... one of the following:
- Manufacturers Statement of Origin - These are the original manufacturer documents the boat came with. They should list the Hull ID Number/serial number of the canoe/kayak, and that should match the serial number scratched/etched into the boat.
- Bill of Sale (casual or from store/dealer)
- Signed-over Ohio boat registration from previous owner
- Notarized "Affidavit of Ownership" (Section 3 of DNR8460 OR Section 2 of DNR8474)
- Payment in a form accepted by the boat registration agent. Call before you go.
- Your driver's license or other acceptable form of identification.
- An application for a Watercraft Registration (ODNR 8460R 10/16) for a traditional registration or an Alternative Registration)
Information you will need to fill in the application (DNR8460R) includes:
- The vessel's Hull Identification Number or serial number
- Previous registration number ("OH" numbers) if any
- Your name, current mailing address, and driver's license number
If the canoe/kayak was previously registered in Ohio, the boat's OH numbers will remain the same.